Wifi embroidery machines again | Silver Seams

Somehow, I am still fighting with computers, though it is a different fight.

I had some trouble getting the Janome to recognize some designs, and finally decided I had a little corruption going on in the Raspberry Pi that provides it with wifi. And then I remembered I hadn’t pushed the release candidate to Gitlab, so that is happening now, and I fixed some of the formatting on the how-to’s while I was at it.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://silverseams.com/wifi-embroidery-machines-again/

This didn’t completely fix the issue - I didn’t have damaged files but I had some that just weren’t showing at all. As I was falling asleep last night I realized the real problem: the Janome doesn’t display designs that are too large for it. Checked this morning and yep, the problem was that my placement box had gotten bumped off-center, so the design ran a stitch or two too far on the top and one side. Moved it back and it shows right up. :tada:

Hello Karen

Just found your site searching for a solution to transfer files to my embroidery machines.

I currently use Toshiba FlashAir SD Cards (versions W-03 and W-04), like the Pi they provide a FTP connection and act like SD Cars or USB Flash Drive (with a SD Card to USB adapter). They work well most of the time but sometimes I have to reconnect them (can ping the SD cards but no connection to the server). I was looking for a wired option. Did you come across anything in your searches? I’ve found a USB Emulator from inveo.com.pl but $$$

So far the Pi Zero W is very reliable even over wifi, and the only problem is getting one’s hands on one.

I have learned that the Pi 4 can apparently do MSG mode, which is interesting because that’s the first I’ve heard of a board with multiplexed USB that can do it. Not sure if it disables the other USB ports when it’s going on or what. The 4 is more expensive than the Zero, but there’s better availability for it (apparently they’re putting the bottlenecked chips in higher-priced boards which, can’t blame 'em). And it’s got an Ethernet port on the board, so you wouldn’t have to rely on wifi. When I find my SD card burner (I’m gonna epoxy a big fluorescent tag on the side of it when I find it again, it’s too dang tiny) I’m going to try it out on mine. They’re a little pricey and way overpowered for the task, but you could replace it with a Zero and use the 4 to build a full Linux machine around when availability eases up. You kind of have to be in a Micro Center at the right time to get one, though.

The MangoPi MQ Pro looks really promising, if they can follow through on all their promises (especially the availability one), but I haven’t seen them in the US yet.

Long story short: not yet.